Sophomore arrested for potential marijuana dealing

A 19-year-old sophomore was arrested earlier this month for possession with the intent to distribute marijuana and is scheduled to appear before the D.C. Superior Court Monday.

University Police officers received a call about a loud party in JBKO, according to a police report. When officers arrived on the scene, they smelled a suspicious odor and called the community director on duty to conduct an administrative search.

Nearly a half-pound of marijuana was discovered along with a black digital scale, plastic bags and $1,350 in cash, according to the report. Although other students were present, the accused took responsibility for the illegal substance. UPD officers arrested the student and transported him to Metropolitan Police Department’s second district headquarters for processing.

D.C. Superior Court Judge Jeanette Clark will hear the sophomore’s case at the status hearing. She may make a decision during Monday’s proceedings or schedule another hearing to gather more information about the defendant.

MPD Officer Kenneth Bryson of the Public Information Office said most cases of possession with the intent to distribute are charged as felonies unless the accused can make a case that the amount was for personal use.

“Sometimes, depending on how the district process goes,” he said, “people plead out and get the sentence reduced to a misdemeanor.”