JEC members nominated

Student Association President Lamar Thorpe has nominated two of the five members for this year’s election oversight body.

The Joint Elections Committee is in charge of running the SA, Marvin Center Governing Board and Program Board elections next semester. The SA nominates two members to the five-person committee, the Marvin Center Governing Board and Program Board each nominate one member and a joint member is chosen between the three organizations.

Thorpe nominated junior Alex Scott and senior Michael Tarantino to be on the committee. Thorpe also said he and MCGB and PB leaders are considering nominating sophomore Laura Bentele for joint appointment on the JEC.

MCGB and PB have not made decisions on their representatives yet.

Senior Charlie Leizear, chairman of MCGB, said that MCGB met last Tuesday to discuss MCGB’s representative to the JEC and will release their decision on their representative in the “very near future.”

Leizear said MCGB generally makes the decision on its representative for the JEC before the end of the semester.

Senior M. Bea Querido, executive chair of PB, said that PB hopes to have a representative by the end of this week.

Before the JEC can be officially established, the SA’s nominees must still be approved by the SA Rules Committee, which meets on Sunday. Once passed by the committee, the nominees will be brought forth for a vote at the final SA Senate meeting of the semester on Tuesday.

Once the JEC is formed, the committee can set a date for the election. The election has typically occurred in March or April.