Students serve up early Thanksgiving meal to elderly

GW students cooked and served a Thanksgiving lunch Saturday to more than 40 residents of St. Mary’s Court elderly home.

The Student Association organized the third-annual lunch at the federally funded low-income facility at 725 24th St. About 15 students prepared turkey, pie and other traditional Thanksgiving fixings in the food court of the community cafeteria. The GW Vibes, a co-ed a cappella group, performed several songs for the elderly residents while they ate.

The lunch helps students realize how interrelated St. Mary’s Court residents and GW students are, said event organizer Derek Platt, who is the SA vice president of community affairs.

“The lunch is going great. They are all very thankful,” Platt, a junior, said. “This is one of the events I look forward to because they appreciate it so much.”

Sophomore Wylie Ballinger, SA tuition action director, helped plan the event and carried food to disabled seniors. He said many GW students forget about helping the surrounding Foggy Bottom community.

“I think a lot of GW students don’t realize the community they are in,” Ballinger said. “I think it’s important to realize that the community take a partnership in it.”

Charlotte Trounson, a resident who has attended all the lunches, said she really appreciates the students’ effort in putting together the lunch.

“I think it’s one of the most generous things in the world. It raises our spirit and makes us feel more a part of the community,” Trouson said. “I don’t think anyone gives students enough credit for all that they do in the community.”

She added that this was the best Thanksgiving meal prepared by GW students.

“It’s delicious. I’ve been going for years and this is the best,” she said. “It’s well-organized and the food tastes great.”

Mary Haig, another resident, said she appreciated the Thanksgiving lunch and other services GW students provide the community. Haig said students also help her clean and fix appliances in her room.

“They are very accommodating. They give us so many things, like the senior prom and bingo,” she said.

St. Mary’s Court resident Ed Abramic said he enjoyed having young people in his building for the lunch.

“It’s nice to have young intelligent faces around here,” Abramic said. “Students always are helpful and bring a lot of humor to the place.”