SMPA professor suddenly resigns

Terry Schue, a visiting professor and the former director of Electronic Media and Digital Arts in the School Media and Public Affairs, unexpectedly resigned this month.

Lee Huebner, the director of SMPA, sent out an e-mail to Schue’s students that said any grades he assigned the students would not be recognized. Huebner did not return phone calls from The Hatchet.

Schue also did not return phone calls and e-mails about why he left.

“I feel cheated, as I am only getting a half-semester course when I am paying for a full semester course. However, I feel that in many ways the change in professors will be to my benefit,” wrote sophomore Sarah Karlin in an e-mail.

Roxanne Russell, a media and public affairs professor, took over two of Schue’s courses, Introduction to Digital Media Production and Studio Production. Advanced Production for EMDA Majors is being taught by Nina Seavey, an assistant research professor of history, and Kerric Harvey, a media and public affairs professor.

Morrison said in Studio Production, students will be working on a takeoff on Jon Stewart’s Comedy Hour. In Introduction to Digital Media, Morrison said she will be teaching students Final Cut Pro, a video editing system and having students produce their first stories.

Students said Schue’s teaching methods were non-traditional and hands-on. They said they were not assigned grades on individual projects.

“He was just being real to us,” said junior Mark Prysler, a student in the Introduction to Digital Media Production class. “I thought he had a really hands-on approach because he was in the industry . If I ever decide to make a movie, I’ll use my notes.”

Visiting professors are appointed for one year, and their appointment can be renewed once.

Diana Lipscomb, the dean of the Columbian College, said because Schue was a visiting professor, he will not be replaced next semester. She also said she did not know specifics about why Schue resigned.