WEB UPDATE: GW women top TCU

COLLEGE PARK, Md., Nov. 18 — Junior Kim Beck had 18 points and eight assists as the No. 25 GW women’s basketball (ESPN/USA Today) team topped TCU 88-77 in the BTI Classic at the Comcast Center at the University of Maryland.

GW (4-0) had trouble early in the game, battling to take control of the pace. The Colonials went into the half with a 31-29 advantage but did not appear confident that the game would be theirs.

The second half found GW’s lead quickly diminishing. TCU (0-2) held a lead by as much as nine in the second half but similar to Friday’s game against Arizona, the Colonials fought back, regaining the lead with eight and a half minutes remaining. Beck led the attack, hitting four of the team’s six three-pointers in the game.

Junior Sarah-Jo Lawrence was the game’s leading scorer with 20 points, one of five Colonials in double-digits. Senior Kenan Cole added 13 points, and sophomores Chantelle John and Jessica Adair, despite finding early foul trouble, contributed 11 points and 10 points, respectively.

This is the first time the Colonials have begun the season 4-0 in 12 years, but McKeown does not concentrate on the team’s record.

“I’m more concerned about the way we’re playing than the record,” McKeown said.

The Colonials face No. 1 Maryland (ESPN/USA Today, AP) tomorrow at 3:30 p.m. in the final game of the three-day event at the Comcast Center.