$5 – $10 – $20: An entertainment guide for the cash-strapped college student

If you have $5

Put Mr. Lincoln back in your wallet and come to Lisner Auditorium on Sunday afternoon at 3 p.m. to support the Music Department by attending the University Symphony Orchestra’s Fall Concert. Featuring selections by past masters Mozart and Beethoven, as well as contemporary composer Brian Wilbur Grundstrom, the concert will provide some exciting music and a nice break before you have to get into the finals mindset and won’t be able to afford to devote your attention to anything but books.

If you have $10

Get a feel for one of the reasons the midterms left last week, and go to Adas Israel at 2850 Quebec St. N.W. on Sunday at 4 p.m. to see Frank Rich. The New York Times theater critic-turned-political commentator will be talking about his latest book on politics from Sept. 11 to Hurricane Katrina, “The Greatest Story Ever Sold,” a tome that probably isn’t on President Bush’s wish list this Christmas. Tickets are $12, but you can get two for free with the purchase of the book at Politics and Prose at 5015 Connecticut Ave.

If you have $20

Go to Black Cat on Friday and watch Joanna Newsom make magic with her harp. Be forewarned: her voice is, um, distinct (think the shrieks and murmurs of a 5-year-old, only kind of gravelly, like if said 5-year-old has a pack-a-day habit), but it’s also absurdly beautiful, and Newsom weaves words with the expertise of a poet (or at least of a poetaster). Her latest, “Ys,” was released this week, and its five songs clock in at close to an hour, so be prepared for some killer harp solos.