GW Blind Date: A chatty dinner date

Awkward silences were nonexistent on a date between Michael, a junior, and Adam, a sophomore, at Firefly restaurant in Dupont Circle as they talked non-stop about home towns, studying abroad and the GW social scene.

Michael

I have been on a blind date before, when I was in high school in Los Angeles. Adam and I arrived at the exact same time. My first impression was that he was very, very cute; he’s a good looking guy!
I had fried oysters with a goat cheese salad on the side. We talked about life at GW, about how I went abroad last semester and about the difference in the societies we come from – I’m from Los Angeles, and he’s from a town close to Dallas – and the society at GW. It was a really good conversation. We talked for a long time.
My lasting impression of Adam was that he was a really nice guy, and very pleasant, although he’s not the type of guy that I would start dating in a formal way. It turned out we knew a lot of the same people too, so we could probably hang out in a more casual setting.
I would rate the date an A because the conversation was great, and the food was good, and it was overall an enjoyable date. I would definitely hang out with Adam again, but not on an official second date.

Adam

This was my first blind date. The fact that it was “blind” made it easier because I had no idea what to expect. I just thought it would be fun to meet someone new.
It was kind of funny because we walked right next to each other to the restaurant for about 20 minutes, he was on his phone and I was checking text messages. It was only when we got to the restaurant that we realized we were each other’s dates.
He seemed like a nice guy, he was very friendly and outgoing. I ordered haricots verts and scallops. We talked about school and where we’re from. We also talked about going abroad and even a little about politics. It was really good conversation. I don’t think we stopped talking for even a minute. We talked so much.
My lasting impression of Michael was that he was really nice and friendly. I think we could probably be good friends, because it’s easy to talk to him.
I’d probably give the date a B+ just because we had an amazing time hanging out, but as friends. I probably wouldn’t go out on a second date with him. We didn’t really have enough of the same interests.

Dater Bios

Name: Michael Marangell
Year: Junior
Age: 19
Hometown: Los Angeles, Calif.
Major: International Business

Name: Adam Chamy
Year: Sophomore
Age: 19
Hometown: Colleyville, Texas
Major: International Affairs

What is your ideal first date?
Michael: It’s hard to say. I’m very into low-key things, maybe dinner. Nothing very pretentious.
Adam: I don’t like movies on the first date because you’re sitting next to someone you don’t know for two hours and it can get awkward. I like to have coffee with the person, something a little short because you get the chance to get to know them, but it’s short and casual, and it won’t be awkward if you want to leave.

How would you describe your perfect man?
Michael: The type of person who I could take to hang out with all my teammates on the rugby team, and who would get along with them. I like a guy’s guy.
Adam: Someone attractive, but more importantly, someone who has the same interests as me. I think that makes the relationship last longer if you can be best friends.

What are your own interests?
Michael: I’m kind of a nerd. I really like meeting new people, learning about different cultures, traveling.
Adam: I like to paint, write, go to art museums and independent films. I also like to go out and go dancing.

“GW Blind Date” is a regular feature in the Life section modeled after Washington Post Magazine’s Date Lab. If you would like to be set up on a blind date with another GW student, e-mail [email protected].