Rowing coach hits senior with pickup truck on campus

GW’s assistant rowing coach struck a senior with a University-owned pickup truck Tuesday evening near Washington Circle, according to a police report and University statements.

David Weiss, who has coached the men’s rowing team since fall 2005, was driving a Ford pickup truck north on 22nd Street at about 9 p.m. The road was wet because it was raining at the time of the incident. Making a left turn at 22nd Street onto Pennsylvania Avenue, he hit 21-year-old Scott Sobelman, according to a Metropolitan Police report.

Sobelman, said he had the crosswalk signal as he was heading home from Gelman Library to his apartment on 22nd and K streets. After being struck, the student was transported by ambulance to GW Hospital, where he was admitted and spent the night.

Sobelman said orthopedic specialists expect him to be released Thursday, after he spent a second night in the hospital Wednesday. Doctors will reevaluate his knee in a week to determine if he needs surgery.

The student said Weiss was helpful to him after the collision.

“He was very nice; he helped me out. He called 911,” Sobelman said.

Weiss was not arrested or issued a citation, according to the police report. Several MPD officers said that accidental pedestrian collisions are handled through the insurance companies and are not considered criminal offenses.

Weiss refused comment Wednesday, but the sports information director, Brad Bower, said the coach “acted responsibly” by helping Sobelman, calling 911 and later informing GW administrators. Bower said the Athletic Department and the Dean of Students Office are aware of the situation and have been monitoring the student’s condition.

GW Media Relations Director Tracy Schario said Weiss’ driving privileges for University vehicles have not been suspended because the incident is still being investigated.

“We extend our wishes for a quick recovery,” Schario wrote in a statement Wednesday. “The accident was unfortunate.”

-Brandon Butler and Kaitlyn Jahrling contributed to this report.