Students complete Mount Vernon to Mount Vernon bike tour

On Saturday, a group of seven GW students rode with faculty and staff from the Mount Vernon campus to Mount Vernon, Va., on the Mount Vernon to Mount Vernon Bike Tour.

The event, sponsored by Mount Vernon Campus Life, was the first in what organizers said they hope to be a tradition of combining health and wellness with D.C. culture and history.

George Washington’s Mount Vernon Estate and Gardens are a popular tourist attraction, showcasing how the first president lived.

The bikers departed from the University’s Mount Vernon campus at 10 a.m., making stops at LBJ Memorial Grove, Belle Haven and Riverside Park before arriving at Mount Vernon, Va. The entire trip lasted four hours and covered 24 miles.

According to Robert Snyder, director of Mount Vernon Campus Life, a group of faculty and staff members suggested that the school take advantage of nearby bike trails.

“The purpose of the tour is to connect the George Washington University to its namesake through an activity that will promote appreciation of wellness, the outdoors and history,” Snyder said.

The activity was organized by Mount Vernon Campus Life in coordination with the Office of Academic Affairs at the Mount Vernon Campus, the University Police Department and GW Recreational Sports.

Students interested in biking on the trails around Mount Vernon can check-out a bike from the Lloyd Gym free of charge year round.