Thorpe nominates three to student court

SA President Lamar Thorpe nominated junior David Rosenbaum and sophomore Christopher Wimbush to sit on the SA Student Court on Wednesday night. On Tuesday Thorpe, a senior, nominated second-year law student Michael Gore to the court. All three nominees must be approved by the Sa Rules Committee and then the full Senate.

If the three nominees are approved, all of the seats on the five-person court will be filled -for the Spring 2007 semester.

According to a press release, Rosenbaum was chosen because of his work as the chair of his fraternity’s judicial committee, his past role as general council for the slate “Real GW” and his work as a student staff member for a U.S. Senator.

”President Thorpe chose Rosenbaum not only because of his experience, but also due to his understanding both of how the three branches of the SA act along with his familiarity with JEC rules,” said the press release.

Thorpe also said in the press release that he accepted the resignation of Associate Judge Oliver Tobias, a graduating senior, this Wednesday and will be appointing sophomore Wimbush to fill the seat being vacated by Tobias. Tobias is leaving the court because he plans on graduating in December.

Wimbush is Thorpe’s vice president of judicial and legislative affairs. In the past, Wimbush has served as a member of the Marvin Center Governing Board, associate parliamentarian of the SA Senate, and senior director of restructuring, according to the press release.

“Wimbush has not only demonstrated an intimate knowledge of the SA constitution, JEC rules, and how the three branches of the SA interact, but he has served both the SA and the University with distinction since his arrival at GW,” said the press release.

All of Thorpe’s nominees must still pass the SA Rules Committee before they can be voted on by the Senate. The Rules Committee does not meet again until after the full Senate’s meeting on Tuesday’s. The earliest the nominees can be brought for a vote by the senate is November 14.

-Andrew Ramonas