Thorpe nominates law student to court

Second-year law student Michael Gore will be one of Student Association President Lamar Thorpe’s nominees for the two empty seats on the SA Student Court, Thorpe told The Hatchet Tuesday night.

Thorpe, a senior, said that he plans to make his decision on the other nominee for the court within the next few days. Thorpe said he is still considering law student Ryan Mick, sophomore Laura Bentele, and juniors John Curran and Dave Rosenbaum.

The court handles constitutional disputes within the SA and between student organizations. The court has only three of its five seats occupied and with the nomination of Gore, the SA will be closer to filling the gap in the court.

“Gore is an exceptional man,” Thorpe said. “He had a lot of judicial experience.”

Gore said that his experience as a past intern for Jerome B. Simandle, a U.S. District Court judge in New Jersey and his current study at the GW Law School, makes him a qualified nominee.

“Everyone that I have met with through the process seems to share an ideal that the court be served by qualified and committed judges, and I hope to live up to those expectations,” Gore said.

Gore added that he will not bring any specific agenda to the court.

“I would not go into the Court with agenda or plan of substantive goals to accomplish,” Gore said.

All nominees for the court must be approved by the Rules Committee before they can be confirmed by the Senate. Since the Rules Committee is not scheduled to meet before Tuesday’s Senate meeting, none of Thorpe’s nominees will be voted on until the Nov. 14 Senate meeting.