Thumbs Up Thumbs Down

SA away from Gallaudet
Student Association President Lamar Thorpe wisely decided not to push to use student funds to buy blankets and food for Gallaudet University protesters. In doing so, Thorpe rightly kept GW out of a matter of internal policy specific to that university and its deaf community.

Budget adjustments
While GW reduced the cuts to academic programs from previous levels, Student and Academic Support Services officials announced larger-than-normal budget cuts in their department. Future reductions in the SASS budget may also result in more reductions of student services.

Darfur grant
University President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg recently established a scholarship for a student from Darfur, the war-torn region of Sudan, in response to calls from student groups for GW to divest in companies doing business in the area. While complete divestment is unfeasible, the scholarship is a positive initiative to effect change in the region.

GW wireless
A recent report found that more than 50 percent of college classrooms nationwide offer wireless Internet access, but Gelman Library is the only building to offer complete service on GW’s campus. Administrators should expand access to bring us up to the national standard.

Kidnapped alum returned
A Palestinian military group kidnapped a 2005 Elliott School alum in the West Bank earlier this month. Fortunately, the student did not endure any harm and was freed shortly after his abduction.

Abortion mayhem
After anti-abortion activists came to campus to protest with graphical depictions of aborted fetuses, GW pro-choice groups engaged the demonstrators in a shouting match. The resulting rhetoric from both sides accomplished nothing, other than a mid-day disturbance to students passing through Kogan Plaza.

Water polo ejection
GW rightly kicked a water polo player off the men’s team after he was arrested for drug possession. Unfortunately, this case hurt the team’s image after the student’s arrest. Accordingly, Athletics department administrators should enact a more stringent drug testing policy to prevent future athlete imbroglios.

Gelman feces
Gelman Library officials found fecal matter in the building during peak midterm study times. A Seeing Eye dog may have caused the incident, but pranksters also may have left the object. If so, the perpetrators should consider a more tasteful and sanitary joke for the future.