WEB EXTRA: Homecoming: Good Charlotte rocks Maryland

Maryland-natives Good Charlotte played in Baltimore last Sunday to promote their new CD and to remind fans of their presence. “We have four albums to choose from now,” said guitarist Benji Madden while on stage. The band played two new songs: “Misery” and “Keep Your Hands Off My Girl.” The former sounds as though it could be another track from the band’s sophomore release “The Young and the Hopeless;” the latter is reminiscent of the rap-rock style that put the group on the map.

Though the new music sounds like the band in its younger days, their stage presence shows that they’re far from green. Singer Joel Madden sported a suit shirt and tie for the first half of the show, looking more like a CEO dad than the front man for a pop-punk band. The rest of the group seemed sluggish in comparison to his energy on stage. After a few songs, the instrumentalists loosened up and really got into the show. With a 90-minute set, the band took “song suggestions” and tested the audience to see how much of the old material that it knew. In the end, everyone- audience and band alike- jumped around and enjoyed themselves.

Also on tour were the rookies Young Love, who opened the show with some pop-rock tunes. Their sound is similar to that of Panic! At the Disco: perfect for dancing to if mixed to a techno beat. “Trying Hard,” a more mellow song from the five-song set, sounds as though it was made for top 40 radio. The quartet was followed by Nashville rockers The Pink Spiders, whose summertime single “Little Razorblade” created a following. If Young Love is rock and roll in its youth, The Pink Spiders are its teen years. More confident in their presentation, the Pink Spiders held back less than Young Love, but did not have their routine as down-pat as Good Charlotte, who seemed to be veterans in comparison. As a whole, the show was upbeat and fun.