Pi Beta Phi returns to campus, begins building organizations

Greek-letter group Pi Beta Phi has returned to campus for the first time since 1968 and will soon be GW’s tenth sorority under supervision of the Panhellenic Association.

Pi Beta Phi, GW’s oldest female Greek-letter organization, has completed the initial stage of its colonization process to restore and re-colonize the D.C. Alpha chapter on campus. Colonization began early in October and the sorority will remain a colony until its official installation Jan. 27.

After installation, the chapter will be under supervision of a Pi Beta Phi leadership consultant for the remainder of this academic year and next year.

“Many very talented and involved women participated in the colonizing recruitment and we were thrilled to have the opportunity to meet so many amazing women at GW,” said Colleen Briley, leadership development consultant for Pi Beta Phi.

According to Briley, more than 170 women registered for Pi Beta Phi recruitment and 85 women, ranging from freshmen to seniors, were inducted into the new chapter. The decision of how many new members to recruit is partially dependent upon how many members the Panhellenic Association allows a new chapter to accept.

“Joining Pi Phi has been such a unique opportunity,” said Sara Neumann, a senior. “I’m really excited and proud to be a part of the beginning of Pi Phi, and to help set up new traditions.”

Neumann added “I think one of the best parts about Pi Phi is its commitment to not only their undergraduate collegiate members, but their post-collegiate members as well. You don’t just join Pi Phi for four years in college; you are part of it for a lifetime.”

According to the Pi Beta Phi Web site for GW’s colony, the organization pays special attention to graduating seniors. The group has a special program, Pi Phi for Life, which is geared towards “transitional programming” for senior members.

In conjunction with an alumna advisory committee comprised of nine members, Pi Beta Phi works toward full participation in Greek life as well as campus life.

In less than two weeks, the chapter will also participate in KidsFest on the Mount Vernon campus and GW’s annual Greek Week.