Greek Briefs

Some Pi Kappa Phi members took a dunk this weekend for a good cause.

The Pi Kappa Phi fraternity raised about $3,350 for its national philanthropic organization Push America with its first annual War of the Roses fundraising event, which ended Monday.

The fundraiser began with a dunk tank in University Yard on Friday.

The second event, the annual sorority volleyball tournament, was held on Saturday afternoon in the Lerner Health and Wellness Center. Teams of sorority members donated to the cause with entrance fees for the tournament. The winning sorority was awarded a portion of the proceeds for their own philanthropic activities.

Finally, the empathy dinner event concluded the fundraiser on Monday in the Continental Ballroom of the Marvin Center. The pasta dinner featured speakers Corbb O’Connor, a freshman, and Jeremy Edmiston, director of Chapter Services for Push America.

O’Connor discussed growing up without sight, while Edmiston addressed the mission of Push America and how to become involved with the organization. According to a press release, the dinner’s focus was on creating a feeling of empathy, rather than sympathy, for those who have disabilities.

Push America, a non-profit organization established by members of Pi Kappa Phi in 1977, is dedicated to helping people with disabilities through service projects, fundraising and increasing awareness, according to a Pi Kappa Phi press release.

“This has been our most successful semester ever as a fraternity, with a highly successful rush last week as well as this weekend’s tremendous effort put forth by the entire Greek community to support Push America,” said sophomore Sean Hallisey, Push America co-chair. “