GW to centralize wireless networks this summer
By Hannah Marr, Assistant News Editor • April 25, 2024
GW to renovate Pelham Commons this summer
By Barry Yao, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

Letters to the Editor

Reform higher education without restricting economic liberty

I agree with Stine Dahlberg’s column (“A Shift in Tuition Thinking is Possible,” Oct. 9, p. 4) only as far as her argument that the American university system could use much improvement. The writer attempts to argue in favor of the idea of a “utopian university” – but there is a catch. She acknowledges that taxes in Scandanavia can reach a level that I believe is so high as to restrict individual economic freedom.

Moreover, the system she advocates to bring about “equality” will do no such thing, insofar as wealth redistribution in any guise changes the benefits of any individual’s work. Simply put, one person’s success should not mean that they get to enjoy relatively less of the fruit of their labor.

There are a variety of ways that concerned citizens can voluntarily contribute to offset university costs, if they are so inclined. The Scandinavian model forcibly transfers the cost, and the risk, to all citizens with only a small chance of any sort of direct benefit to them. It is simply inappropriate for the competitive American economic environment and goes much too far towards restricting individual liberty.

Matt Taylor, Senior

Democrats’ education focus is on target

In response to your staff editorial published Monday (“Higher education is not about politics,” Oct. 9, p. 4), I believe it is certainly appropriate for House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi to discuss college affordability in the context of the upcoming elections.

As we’ve seen in recent years, the already-high price of college tuition has been severely exacerbated by the Republican Congress.

There is an old canard that young people don’t vote because politicians don’t listen to us, and politicians don’t listen to young people because we don’t vote. Pelosi’s words show that, for once, politicians are taking the interests of students seriously, and that’s something we should embrace. Our leaders certainly should be addressing this issue, and if we want to fix the college affordability crisis, we need to elect a Democratic Congress come November.

Damien M. Shirley, Junior, College Democrats Member

Celebrate 100 years of men’s basketball

I agree with Molly Gannon’s column about the positive impact of having some kind of kick-off celebration for the Colonials this basketball season (“Make space for a basketball celebration,” Oct. 9, p. 4), especially after the historic success of the Buff & Blue last season.

A major milestone that should also be recognized is the 100-year anniversary of The George Washington University men’s basketball program this year. The GW hoops program began in 1906, and it was one of the first college basketball teams organized in the nation’s capital. All loyal Colonials should have a chance to celebrate the upcoming season and mark the centennial year of GW basketball.

Michael La Place, Alumnus