Vendor fair showcases GW-brand merchandise

GW’s Licensing and Trademarks office hosted its first annual Vendor Fair Thursday in the Marvin Center’s Grand Ballroom.

GW established its Licensing and Trademarks Program in 1991, which serves to regulate and protect the commercial use of the University’s federally trademarked names and identifying marks both on and off campus.

“A vendor fair is where University-licensed vendors are invited to campus to showcase their merchandise and products and to learn the needs of our University community,” said Helen Cannaday Saulny, assistant vice president of Student and Academic Support Services.

More than 15 University-licensed vendors attended the fair. Cannaday Saulny said some student organizations had recently purchased items from unlicensed vendors that were sub par in quality and not allowed by the University.

“Given the success of admissions, our student organizations, the basketball program and President Trachtenberg’s tenure as president, the desire to promote GW is at an all-time high,” Cannaday Saulny added.

Promotional items offered by vendors to develop interest in their products and services ranged from t-shirts and sweatshirts to frisbees and bottle openers.

“Additionally, the University community can get ideas on how best to brand, promote or celebrate its activities, programs, and or organizations,” Cannaday Saulny said.

Some vendors said they accepted their invitations to the fair because they saw an opportunity to expand their customer base.

Junior Patrick Clevenger and sophomore Ben Balter were at the fair representing a cappella group EmoCapella. They were looking for t-shirts or bottle openers they could sell at shows.

“It was very convenient,” Clevenger said. “The vendors were very helpful (and) the fair gave us exposure to businesses we might otherwise have had difficulty finding or making good contacts with.”

-Frank Broomell