GW Briefs

Professor Entman receives distinguished career achievement award

Media and Public Affairs professor Robert Entman received the Murray Edelman Distinguished Career Achievement Award from the American Political Science Association.

Entman, who came to the School of Media and Public Affairs last spring, is working on his next book, “Media Bias Scandals.” He has worked at universities across the world, including Harvard, the University of Rome, Duke, Northwestern and North Carolina State University.

“All of us at the School of Media and Public Affairs are pleased and proud to know that Bob Entman’s work has been recognized in this very important way,” said Lee Huebner, director of GW’s School of Media and Public Affairs in a press statement.

“This is a particularly prestigious award, and Bob is a particularly deserving recipient,” he said.

Founded in 1903, the American Political Science Association brings together more than 15,000 political scientists from over 80 countries.

Entman was a finalist to become SMPA’s director two years ago along with media personality Marvin Kalb. That year’s search ended with neither of the finalists awarded the top post.

University creates chief human resources officer position

Val Monroe Berry was named GW’s first chief human resources officer last week.

Berry will oversee training and development, staffing and compensation, data management, employee assistance programs and employee relations.

“I was energized by the opportunity to join a leading research institution in an urban environment and at the dynamic prospect of transforming the University’s human resources operations into a strategic partner within the administration,” said Berry in a press statement.

Berry served four years as the same position at Western Washington University in Bellingham, Wash. Berry has a cumulative 20 years of experience, also serving as the assistant vice president of human resources at Florida International University in Miami and managing labor relations at Columbia University.

“An important goal of the University’s strategic plan is to continue to foster a sense of community, not just among students and faculty, but among staff as well,” said University President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg in a press statement.

Berry received his master’s in science degree in human resource development from Florida International University and his B.S. in industrial and labor relations from Cornell University.