$5 – $10 – $20: An entertainment guide for the cash-strapped college student

If you have $5

Let it help pay for your copy of the new Hold Steady record (seriously, it’s really good) and go to University Yard on Friday to join campus literary magazine Le Cult de Moi for a reading of “Lolita,” Vladimir Nabakov’s classic account of Humbert Humbert’s forbidden lust. The reading will take place between 10 a.m. and 10 p.m., but you can go to the entire thing, since we all know you don’t have class on Fridays.

If you have $10

Borrow two more and go to Black Cat again. We promise there’s other stuff to do in D.C., it’s just that the folks up at 1811 14th St., N.W. keep putting together killer events on Moore’s favorites Be Your Own Pet, the Nashville band with the teenage sound. Seriously, these kids are younger than you (their drummer just left the band to, among other things, think about going to college), which should make you wonder what the hell you’re doing with your life.

If you have $20

Head to the Corcoran Gallery of Art at 500 17th St., N.W. on Thursday at 4:30 for a little taste of Project Runway in D.C. Tim Gunn, the mentor to aspiring fashionistas on the Bravo hit, will be speaking. A homecoming for D.C.-native Gunn, the event will bring him back near his old stomping grounds at the Corcoran College of Art and Design, and will provide an exciting chance to hear an expert amidst the tumult of Fashion Week.