GW to centralize wireless networks this summer
By Hannah Marr, Assistant News Editor • April 25, 2024
GW to renovate Pelham Commons this summer
By Barry Yao, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

Crepe store is back in D.C.

After a two-year hiatus, Crepeaway is back in the neighborhood.

The restaurant, which serves a selection of sweet and savory cr?pes, is hoping to attract GW students as it did when it was located in J Street.

In September, the new shop at 20th and L streets had a 50 percent discount for students with GWorld cards, and it will begin accepting the cards as payment Oct. 13, owner Saad Jalaad said. Now the store, which opened in August, gives GW students a 10 percent discount.

Seniors may remember the cr?perie that opened in the Marvin Center’s J Street in January 2004. Crepeaway left at the end of that semester because of space restrictions planned renovations to J Street would cause.

Jalaad then opened a shop in Virginia’s Pentagon City mall in 2004. He had wanted to stay near GW, but had trouble finding real estate in the District, he said. In Washington, a business needs to establish legitimacy before property owners will rent it space, he said. Crepeaway spent a successful year at Pentagon City where, Jalaad said, it kept a devoted following of GW students.

In June, Jalaad secured the space on L Street and brought Crepeaway back near Foggy Bottom. The doors of the new store opened in August.

Jalaad grew up in Greece, came to the United States in 1998 and attended American University. He noticed a lack of convenient, European-style cr?pe stands in Washington. When he graduated in 2003, his mother suggested he open a crepe stand. He modeled his store after the cr?perie in Athens that his family partly owns.

He wanted to open the stand on or near a college campus and looked for options at American, Georgetown and Catholic Universities before discovering that Aramark, GW’s former food service provider, wanted to install a shop like it in the Marvin Center.