$5 – $10 – $20: An entertainment guide for the cash-strapped college student

If you have $5

Pocket it again this week, and head down to the Mall for the annual National Book Festival. Sponsored by the Library of Congress and hosted by the First Lady, this year’s festival, as always, promises a good time for the bibliophile, with multitudes of writers available to sign books and plenty of displays that will remind you of that special time when reading was fun and not just something you slog through for school. Put down your textbook and pick up something you like.

If you have $10

Head to 1811 14th St., N.W. this Friday for Black Cat’s Cryfest: The Smith vs. The Cure Dance Party. Never mind the fact that you’re listening to music by two bands who would almost certainly rather sit down and talk about their feelings than have any sort of competition – crank your older sibling’s ancient mix tapes, start dancing and pick a side. On a side note – pick the Smith’s side if you want to be right, but I guess you can do what you want.

If you have $20

If mope-rock isn’t your thing, catch the orange line to Clarendon on Friday for a snack and a show. Head to the Silver Diner at 3200 Wilson Blvd. for the delicious culinary manifestation of an America that never existed. Then, go to Iota Club and Caf? on 2832 Wilson Blvd. to hear Dutch band Bettie Serveert play songs off “Bare Stripped Naked.” You might know them for their cover of Bright Eyes’ “Lover I Don’t Have to Love” on “The OC,” but the band has been making delicate pop music for over a decade.