Weekly check up: Smoking and birth control

Life at GW can be a lot about mixing – mixing classes and internships, city life and campus life – but there are two things that students should think twice about before mixing: birth control and cigarettes.

Women on the pill have probably already seen or heard the mile-long list of side effects that go along with the prescription. The serious risks with the pill are rare, but do include increased chance of heart attacks, blood clots and stroke, and these are amplified as the years go on and with every puff of a cigarette, according to Susan Haney, clinical program coordinator for Student Health Services.

Haney said even when you subtract the pill from the equation, cigarettes alone are already a problem for your cardiovascular health. Nicotine causes higher blood pressure and a faster heart rate, which puts stress on the blood vessels. But when you’re on the pilll, the extra estrogen in your body makes those blood vessels more vulnerable.

Even light smokers should consider curbing their habit, Haney said. Women who smoke less than one pack per week can still develop those unwanted side effects.

“The effect of nicotine on the blood vessels is quick,” Haney said. “(Casual smokers) still need to worry a little more, but not as much as a regular smoker would.”

But it’s those who polish off more than 15 cigarettes a day who need to consider turning things around, Haney said. Potential warning signs of a serious problem include severe pain in your calves, legs, abs or chest, and migraine-like headaches that last longer than normal.

Haney admits however, that youthfulness and a healthy lifestyle can play to a smoker’s advantage. She said a healthy young female who eats well and gets exercise, but unfortunately smokes as well, has lower chances of having a heart attack or stroke, or even a blood clot while taking the pill.

While the risks of smoking on the pill increase with age, students should consider battling the nicotine now so they aren’t more likely to run into problems later.

Haney said Student Health even offers some support – students interested in quitting smoking who need that extra push can join her “Quit Smoking” group or schedule individual sessions. Students can contact her at [email protected].

-Vanessa Tencati

“Weekly check up” is a regular feature in the Life section. If you have a health topic you want to know more about, e-mail [email protected].