Varsity Roundup

Volleyball

The GW volleyball team extended its losing streak to five games with a 3-1 loss to Xavier Sunday at the Smith Center. Senior Juliene McLaughlin scored 18 points for GW in the loss. Classmate Abba Greenleaf had 12 kills, five blocks and two aces for GW, while junior Janine Brown had 10 kills. With the loss, GW falls to 7-7 overall and 0-2 in the Atlantic 10. The loss leaves head coach Jojit Coronel one match short of his 100th win. GW heads to Pittsburgh Friday to face Duquesne.

Men’s Soccer

GW broke a two-game losing streak Saturday and topped Rider 2-1 in Lawrenceville, N.J., in the squad’s last out-of-conference matchup of the season. Thomas Stuber, a junior, recorded a career-high two goals in the win. Junior Matt Scheer stopped three shots in his first career start. The win brings GW to 3-4-1 on the season and drops Rider to 3-4-2. Rider was ranked eighth in the latest National Soccer Coaches Association of America, and the win marks the second for GW over a ranked opponent (American). GW will face Massachusetts at Mount Vernon Friday to open Atlantic 10 play.

Golf

The GW golf team continues its fall season Monday as it hosts the Rehoboth Beach Invitational in Rehoboth Beach, Del. Coming off its first NCAA tournament berth in more than 40 years, GW placed eighth of 18 teams Sept. 10 in the Navy Inviatational. Senior Raman Luthra carded a 147 to tie for 25th place. Headlining the GW-hosted event in Delaware this year is Iona College (N.Y.), La Salle, Monmouth College (Ill.), Mount St. Mary’s, Navy and Army. Goldey Beacorn College (Del.) and Wilmington College (Del.), both Division II squads, will play in the one-day event. Last season, senior Bob Rohr finished fifth after carding a 71-76. Luthra finished ninth (77-71) and Johnson finished 11th (76-73). GW finished second in last year’s event.