Molly Gannon: The Colonial Army earned its privilege

I will never forget the exhilarating, last minute men’s basketball victory over Dayton at the Smith Center last year. What will stand out most for me from that game may not be Carl Elliot’s half-court, game-winning buzzer-beater, but the emotion I shared with members of the Colonial Army.

The administration’s recent moves that will likely abolish that organization’s advanced access to basketball tickets is disappointing and detrimental to school pride and spirit. It will hurt this group of students that dutifully followed the team and cheered them on. The Colonial Army, through their unwavering support of the basketball team, has truly earned their ticket privileges and should keep them.

Jack Kvancz, director of Athletics, argued in last Thursday’s Hatchet (“University plans changes to b-ball admission,” Sept. 21, p. 1) that a new policy, by which all students will have an equal opportunity to acquire tickets in advance, will allow fairer access to seats. This line of reasoning is flawed, however, since membership to the Colonial Army is open to all GW students who pay $15 in dues each year (and a one-day exclusive $10 charge to returning members) for early access to games and fan gear.

All these accoutrements, including pom-poms and foam tri-corner hats, contribute to a visible spirit presence that would be lost without the group. While the Colonial Army hasn’t been completely eliminated, membership and interest is almost surely going to decline to extremely low levels now that its biggest perk has been revoked.

Thanks to the group, students were able to take part in the celebration of the men’s and women’s team successes over the past several years not just as mere spectators, but as active participants. The fact remains that the Colonial army is only three years old, and the basketball program still relies on them for support and spirit. Administrators should allow more time for the club to mature before rushing to a decision that will severely compromise its future.

It is true that early ticket privileges aren’t the only incentive to join the group. Colonial Army members’ pride and spirit alone may persuade nonmembers to join. Yet, with the increasing popularity of our basketball teams, it is important to allow the Colonial Army to retain their early tickets since group members may not even be able to get access to a game. Members of the organization are a vital part of the student section, and they should have a large presence at every game. The Colonial Army’s loss of ticket privileges would make it difficult for the entire group to pack the stands at every home game.

Thanks to the Colonial Army, interest in GW basketball outside our campus has grown. Students clad in GW shirts and their trademark foam hats traveled to away games and brought the Colonials spirit right to the home of the team’s opponents. The fans were rowdy, excited and emotional, increasing visibility in the national media.

In May, the University reaped the benefits of a drastically improved basketball program by signing a multi-year agreement with Washington Post Radio. Additionally, several men’s games will be broadcast live on major television networks. While this coverage is largely due to the team’s management, players and coaching, the Colonial Army members who helped increase our visibility on the deserve credit too. The new ticket policy may mean that fans watching the team on television this year will not see as much Colonial spirit, and future coverage may go down as a result.

Administrators should recognize the benefits of the Colonial Army and act accordingly. The truth is that early access to game seats is the perk that drives membership in the group, which is largely responsible for the loyal fan base for GW basketball. Outsiders and students alike could argue that GW doesn’t have much school spirit, but I would rebut that idea by pointing to the Colonial Army. They are the group that keeps enthusiasm for our team going, and they should keep their privilege.

-The writer is a senior majoring in political communication.