Students may line up for hoops tickets

The University is considering having students line up the day before home men’s basketball games to pick up tickets, the co-president of the Colonial Army said.

Frank Dale, the co-president of the student spirit organization, said the administration has not made a decision about whether his organization will be able to gain early entry into basketball games.

Robert Chernak, senior vice president for Student and Academic Support Services, told The Hatchet last week that officials were considering reforming ticketing and seating for basketball games. This may eliminate the privileges the Colonial Army has had over the past two years, including early entrance into the Smith Center on game days. In the past, all students gained entrance into home games by showing their student ID at the door.

The University is considering issuing tickets to students early on a weekday morning and then giving out more on game day, Dale said.

“We just heard they were going to make tickets available the day before a game,” Dale said.

Director of Athletics Jack Kvancz said nothing has been decided, and administrators are meeting Monday morning to make a final decision.

“We’re going to try to take care of as many students as we can,” Kvancz said Sunday.

Historically, GW promises students free admission to all men’s basketball games. Chernak has said he has no immediate plans to charge for tickets.

Chernak said last week that changes are being considered because he wants to broaden the base of GW basketball fans.

Dale said, “we just want to be notified of the decision so we can determine what our next step will be.”