Grocery may get GWorld

The Trader Joe’s specialty grocery store that opened this month near the Foggy Bottom campus may be accepting Colonial Cash, according to Nancy Haaga, director of Campus Support Services.

Many students have walked to the 2425 L St. store in the past two weeks since District Market downsized into a convenience store this fall.

“We began hearing buzz from students last semester about how excited they were about the planned opening of the new Trader Joe’s store,” Haaga wrote in an e-mail. “As a result we’ve contacted Trader Joe’s management about becoming a GWorld-Colonial Cash Partner, as we believe that Trader Joe’s offers grocery products and other items that will be popular and in the demand by our students.”

There are no grocery options on Colonial Cash due to the downsizing of District Market and because the Watergate Safeway is not a Colonial Cash partner.

Haaga said no new restaurants or stores became partners in the past couple of months and 15 new merchants are under review. Although applications are processed in the order in which they are received, the actual time period between submitting an application and obtaining the equipment necessary to operate GWorld varies for each venue.

Singapore Bistro, located at 19th and M Streets, began accepting GWorld three months ago, but management said the restaurant has yet to see an increase in student customers.

“We hope that as the school year begins, more students will know about us,” owner Jin Grace said. He added that he hopes to attract more student customers with sushi classes and campus advertising.

Grace said, “students like to attend our classes and they like to practice their Chinese with the workers.”