Letters to the Editor

There’s something happening at Mount Vernon

We are writing in response to the article, “Welcome Week kicks off year” (Sept. 11, p. 6). While we appreciated The Hatchet’s overall coverage of Welcome Week, we were disappointed that the reporting did not extend beyond events that were held on the Foggy Bottom Campus. Welcome Week at the Mount Vernon Campus included events such as Wacky Wednesday “Design on a Dime,” Mount Vernon Programming Council’s College Band Night and GW’s World Market at Mount Vernon. In fact, the World Market event was the actual conclusion for Welcome Week, not Fall Fest, as your article referenced.

Furthermore, we experienced strong attendance by both Foggy Bottom and Mount Vernon Campus residents at all three events, with numbers ranging from more than 100 people at College Band Night to nearly 1,000 at World Market. As the new academic year progresses, we expect that your newspaper will continue to provide balanced coverage of GW’s fully integrated Mount Vernon Campus, which thousands of students experience every week through our diverse academic, residential and extracurricular offerings.

We invite everyone to learn more about what the Mount Vernon Campus has to offer by visiting the Mount Vernon Campus Life website at gwired.gwu.edu/mvcl and by subscribing to the weekly “What’s Happening at Mount Vernon” e-mail listserv and podcast, which is available for download from iTunes.

-Robert Snyder, Director of Mount Vernon Campus Life and Marketing

-Jennifer Solt, Mount Vernon Campus Life Student Activities Coordinator

Support the future of GW

Rarely does a student have the dedication and foresight to put serious time and effort into the improvement of the University, not only during his or her time at the University, but for long after they leave. An exception to this rule was former Student Association President Audai Shakour, a recent graduate of GW who was no ordinary student. One particular initiative that President Shakour took, Campaign GW, is just beginning to come to light.

Many of you may have heard either myself or another representative of Campaign GW come to your floor or house meetings to speak about what we are doing, and how you can become involved. We are a group dedicated to informing students about changes to the University and uniting students and administrators in an effort to make GW a world-class institution right here in the heart of the nation’s capital. Today I ask for your support and aid in this process.

Whether you notice it or not, GW is at a crucial turning point in its history. With the non-tuition based revenue that will be gained from the proposed Square 54 mixed-use development project, our University will gain the necessary revenues to construct a state-of-the-art science facility, along with numerous other projects that will contribute to the University’s quality and prestige. As GW presents its proposed Foggy Bottom Campus Plan for 2006-2025 to the DC Zoning Commission this week, we ask you to join us in supporting not only the future of the University, but your own future as well. Remember, the reputation of this University will affect you long after you leave this campus. Please, e-mail [email protected] to find out how one night of your life can change the future of our University.

-Casey Pond, junior, member, Campaign GW