Greek Briefs

Pi Kappa Phi fraternity raises about $700 for charity

The Pi Kappa Phi fraternity raised about $700 for its national philanthropy Push America at its second annual Pie-a-Pi-Kapp event that took place yesterday in Kogan Plaza.

Pies were sold for $3 and participants were allowed to throw their pies at the fraternity members from a distance or walk up and pie a member in the face. Last year the fraternity also raised about $700.

Push America is a non-profit organization that members of Pi Kappa Phi founded in 1977, and to date, it has raised about $10 million for individuals with a wide variety of disabilities.

Pi Kappa Phi is the only Greek-letter organization to nationally support and operate its own philanthropy, said Pi Kappa Phi Philanthropy Chair Sean Hallisey.

Other Greek-letter organizations give money to public and private charitable organizations, but Pi Kappa Phi chapters around the country give money to philanthropic organizations founded by members of their Greek-letter organization.

“Our goal is to make the largest donation we can to Push America, and holding events like Pie-a-Pi-Kapp is a good way to reach that goal,” said Hallisey.

“Not only do our friends come out, but people passing by also stop and think, hey, it would be pretty cool to pie that guy in the face.”

Hallisey added that Pie-A-PiKapp is a precursor to the fraternity’s first annual War of the Roses event coming up in October. War of the Roses will be a three-day event and will include a dunk tank fundraiser, a volleyball tournament among GW’s sororities, and a party.

On the final day of the event, the fraternity plans to hold a banquet dinner in the Marvin Center and invite representatives from Push America as well as individuals with disabilities whom Push America has helped come to speak to the War of the Roses participants.

“Pie-a-Pi-Kapp is a good time to come out and have fun with your friends,” Hallisey said. “Philanthropy is a very important part of our organization, and we appreciate when people come out and help support us in those efforts.”