$5 – $10 – $20: An entertainment guide for the cash-strapped college student

If you have $5

Borrow two more and go to The Red &The Black at 1212 H Street, NE (just be careful-see the Bar Belle) on Wednesday to catch a set by the Brindley Brothers, Luke and Daniel. In addition to making music, the two operate the Vienna venue Jammin’ Java, but they come to the District tonight. Signed to Paste Records, the band released the excellent “Playing With the Light” (think early Wilco and Paul Westerberg) in 2004, and their new record, “Filled With Fire,” sounds just as promising. Doors open at 9. Ages 21 and over.

If you have $10

Go to the Jewish Literary Festival on Wednesday to see “Simpsons” star Harry Shearer. The voice behind characters Ned Flanders, Mr. Burns, and many other Springfield residents, as well as a member of mock rock legends Spinal Tap, Shearer will be talking about his first novel, “Not Enough Indians.” The festival runs from Sept. 10 to 20 and is held at the District of Columbia Jewish Community Center at 1529 16th St. NW. Tickets are $10 for students and can be ordered online at http://www.boxofficetickets.com/.

If you have $20

Spend an evening with the Dead Kennedys. Make the trek to the State Theatre at 220 N. Washington,?Falls Church, Va. for some honest to goodness punk rock. A pivotal band in the development of the punk scene in America in the 1980s, the Dead Kennedys brought prominence to their label, Alternative Tentacles, and singer Jello Biafra became a prominent free speech advocate. Biafra is gone now (alienated from the rest of the band), and so are the 1980s, but the songs are still there. California Uber Alles..