Snow Patrol rides again

For Snow Patrol, 2006 has been a year of immense success and colossal challenges. With their May 9 release, “Eyes Open,” peaking at No. 34 on the Billboard charts the Northern Ireland/Scotland natives should have been on top of the world. Yet, touring behind the album would prove to be a rollercoaster ride for the group.

When lead singer Gary Lightbody sought medical assistance for a hoarse voice in February, his doctors advised him to take some time off. However, with the upcoming release of the much-anticipated follow-up to 2004’s “Final Straw,” Lightbody and the others quickly got back to work.

A strained voice quickly became laryngitis, but he continued to push through. As conditions worsened, rumors of polyps developing on his vocal chords began to surface, and Lightbody sought out treatment from a top vocal coach in New York City. What began as an ill treated sore throat now threatened the career of one of music’s most promising young groups.

Thankfully, Lightbody was able to recover, and after canceling much of their U.S. summer tour, including the sold-out D.C. gig at the 9:30 Club, they were ready to hit the road again. However, in August, the “Eyes Open” tour suffered another significant setback. En route to two West Coast festival dates, the band was separated coming stateside due to a terrorism threat. The band was forced to cancel the Auburn, Wash. and Portland, Ore. shows.

Now, the band is set to open our eyes to their newest work as they push to finish thier U.S. tour, honoring all of their canceled dates. With “Eyes Open” in their arsenal in addition to earlier successes such as “Final Straw” and “Polar Bear,” these shows, including the make-up date at the 9:30 are sure to please the long-waiting audience.

Snow Patrol will play a sold out show at the 9:30 Club in D.C. on Sept. 10, and all of the May 31 tickets will be honored.