Pinnock, Hall officially with NBA squads

Two former GW basketball players finalized agreements with NBA teams Wednesday. The Washington Wizards invited former forward Mike Hall to its training camp, and Danilo (J.R.) Pinnock inked a deal with the Los Angeles Lakers.

The Wizards, who held workouts with Pops Mensah-Bonsu and Omar Williams, invited Hall to its training camp, which begins Oct. 3 at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond.

Hall’s agent Darren White began negotiating with NBA teams after the forward was not selected in June’s NBA Draft. Hall, who expressed a desire to stay in Washington, said the Wizards provided the best opportunity for playing time.

“They have three open roster spots and lost their best perimeter defender this year in Jared Jeffries, and I love playing ‘D’ and being on the ball,” Hall said in an interview Wednesday night.

Pinnock officially signed a contract with the Lakers, The Associated Press reported. The Hatchet reported that Pinnock was offered a deal but the Lakers and Pinnock’s agent would not confirm negotiations Aug. 28. The Lakers refused to release the terms of the agreement late Wednesday night.

Hall, who led the Colonials in rebounding last year, said his contract is for training camp only. If he makes the regular season roster, a contract would likely be one year for $412,718, with an option for a second season, Hall said.

Hall said he’s excited about returning to Washington, where he spent four years playing in Foggy Bottom.

“That’s an amazing bonus straight out of a movie if that all works out that way,” Hall said. “Four years having fun and then coming back to be around Coach Hobbs and the other players would be great. I’ll be an old man on campus but it will help make the transition easier.”

Hall would not comment on his chances of making the team, but said the Wizards appreciate his tenacity.

-Jake Sherman contributed to this report.