Greek Briefs

Students to gather for MSSC Block Party

A block party sponsored by the Multicultural Student Services Center will take place this Friday from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. in Kogan Plaza.

Students in attendance will be able to meet members of the University’s various multicultural student and Greek-letter organizations, and enjoy prize giveaways and free food.

“The Block Party is a great opportunity for all GW students to find out the great number of multicultural student organizations we have on campus and the wonderful opportunities for service and learning that they provide,” said Michael Tapscott, director of MSSC.

Tapscott said his office uses the term “block party” to label this event as a reflection of the “relational, home-centered perspective” from when the MSSC works.

“Last year we had a very diverse group of students attend the block party, and we are expecting the same for this year,” said J. Russell Fugett, senior program coordinator for the MSSC.

Most of the National Pan-Hellenic Council’s Greek-letter organizations will have tables set up during the block party, said NPHC President Whitney West, a senior.

The NPHC consists of nine historically African-American fraternities and sororities that are often referred to as the Divine Nine. Six of these chapters have charters at GW.

The Multicultural Greek Council is made up of six chapters that are historically Latino and Asian-American. Chapters from the MGC will also have tables with information at the block party.

– Jessica Calefati