$5 – $10 – $20: An entertainment guide for the cash-strapped college student

If you have $5

Like our recommendation last week -keep it. Head to one of the District’s best bookstores, Politics and Prose, at 5101 Connecticut Ave., N.W., to hear David Simon discuss his book “Homicide.” Written in 1992, and recently updated, the book chronicles the life of police officers amid a violent world of drugs, and was turned into the critically acclaimed television show “Homicide: Life on the Streets.” Simon is now a creative force behind another highly praised television show, HBO’s “The Wire.” So, come catch a man with an eye for the dramatic.

If you have $10

Drag yourself up out of Northwest on Sept. 8, and check out the recently opened Rock and Roll Hotel, at 1253 H Street, N.E. The Presets play the first in a monthly set of rock and roll discos called Room Service. The new series is brought to you by the folks behind Bliss dance night at the Black Cat, so get ready to dance, dance, dance. Doors open at 9 p.m., and it’s only for those 18 or older, so you won’t need to worry about stepping on the teeny-boppers that frequent more traditional rock shows.

If you have $20

Head to the 9:30 Club at 815 V Street, N.W., on Tuesday to catch a set by Britain’s Starsailor. Specializing in soundtracks for imaginary Zach Braff movies, the band specializes in heartfelt anthems and general English wistfulness. Tickets are $15, so spend the extra $5 after the show on some delicious chili cheese fries at Ben’s Chili Bowl, around the corner at 1213 U St. The sound of your arteries clogging will be the only thing audible over the ringing in your ears.