UPD officer faces sex charges

A University Police Department corporal admitted criminal responsibility for soliciting sex at a hearing in D.C. Superior Court Friday.

Peter Dawson was arrested July 28 by Metropolitan Police in the fifth district for soliciting sex, said Channing Phillips, spokesperson for the United States Attorney for the District of Columbia.

Dawson’s case was dismissed Friday, but his arrest will remain on his record, said Associate Judge John Mott of the D.C. Superior Court, who presided over Dawson’s hearing. Mott is also a part-time professor at GW Law School.

To have the case dismissed, Dawson paid a $300 fee and attended an eight-hour class at the U.S. Attorney’s John School, a diversion program that is “designed to reduce recidivism among those arrested for solicitation,” according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office Web site.

After completing the John School, first-time offenders for sexual solicitation can usually have the case dismissed if a representative from the U.S. Attorney’s office agrees to it, Phillips said.

After the hearing, Dawson declined to comment on his case’s dismissal.

UPD Chief Dolores Stafford said the University’s officers obtain a police commission through MPD, and when any officer is arrested, his commission is revoked until the case is resolved.

“When an officer’s commission is pulled for any reason, he/she is suspended from UPD without pay pending investigation from our department (and) pending the resolution of the matter,” Stafford wrote in an e-mail Monday.

She said Dawson is a corporal with UPD and has been with the department since April 1998.