Women to face UMD

The GW women’s basketball team has a tradition of playing strong out-of-conference opponents , and this season is no exception. The highlight of the squad’s 2006-2007 schedule is a match up with defending national champion Maryland in College Park, Md.

GW coach Joe McKeown said he would like to make the game with Maryland an annual event.

“I think it’ll be great to rekindle a series with Maryland since they’re a local team,” McKeown said. GW hasn’t played Maryland since the 1993-1994 season.

The Colonials will also face Texas Christian University and the University of Arizona in the Comcast Center in College Park Nov. 17-19.

In addition to facing the Terps, the Colonials will travel to Knoxville, Tenn., for a meeting with Tennessee. The Lady Vols were responsible for the Colonials’ second-round elimination in the NCAA tournament last March.

McKeown’s squad will also participate in the San Diego Hoop Challenge, where they will play the University of Georgia.

Home games include match ups against Villanova University and Auburn University. Both teams qualified for the NCAA Tournament last season.

“We play that level of competition,” McKeown said. “Last year we played teams like Purdue and Texas. It seemed like there were about 10 top teams in a row. It’s just part of what we do. When you’re a top 20 program, you have to play the best.”

McKeown said the schedule is still in the works and hopes to have it within the next week.