University prepares for dining changes

The University and new food service provider Sodexho will begin construction on sweeping changes to dining options at the conclusion of Colonial Inauguration.

The new dining venues are scheduled to open by the beginning of the fall semester on September 5, said Nancy Haaga, director of Auxiliary and Institutional Services.

“Construction is in the planning phase and is expected to begin shortly after Colonial Inauguration five,” Haaga said. CI five, the last freshman orientation session, ends July 8 and Haaga said she expects construction to begin that day.

The most significant change to J Street is the addition of new vendors. Minor construction is needed for Quizno’s to replace Subway, and Chick Fil-A will replace Burrito Express.

J Street Caf?, a new addition, will feature all-you-can-eat style dining with pre-paid meals. It will occupy a new area comprised of what was Starbucks and part of the seating area in Columbian Square. Construction on the fifth floor of the Marvin Center will also begin for a new full-service restaurant serving beer and wine to students 21 and over.

Wendy’s has been the only vendor open and operating throughout the summer; Einstein’s Bagels, Jamba Juice, a new mini market area and Ames Dining Hall on the Mount Vernon campus are expected to open the week of June 12.

Sodexho, which signed a “multi-year” contract with the University, according to Haaga, will also keep a contract J Street workers had under Aramark.

The Hotel and Restaurant Employees Local 25 union, which represents the J Street workers, and Sodexho agreed to continue operating under the contract the union had with Aramark, said John Boardman, executive secretary for the union.

Before an agreement was made between Sodexho and the union, the company had a choice of either keeping the Aramark-negotiated contract or renegotiating a new contract. While many workers have left J Street for the summer or have found other jobs until the fall, Boardman said the union is happy that Sodexho is picking up the Aramark contract.

Sodexho is a nation-wide food service provider that has over 1,000 colleges and universities as clients, said Sodexho spokesperson Bonnie Gordon.

Gordon said Sodexho will adapt to student needs through their Student Board of Directors and initiatives such as the Balance, Mind, Body and Soul program. The Web site lists the nutritional value of all the items sold and allows students to ask a registered dietician questions about nutrition and healthy living.

Sodexho’s Student Board of Directors is comprised of students from a diverse group of colleges and universities around the country that discuss emerging trends, new recipes, marketing programs and communicate with on-campus interest groups.

The University awarded Sodexho a contract after the University released previous food service provider Aramark from its contract. Aramark had informed GW in November 2005 that it was not meeting profit goals.

The University began a bidding process for a new service provider and Sodexho was chosen to replace Aramark. Sodexho officially took over J Street operations on June 1.