The year in review: highlights and headlines

September

Katrina refugees come to campus

Following Hurricane Katrina, GW announced that displaced students from the region could enroll in courses at GW. Eighty-two undergraduate and graduate students accepted the offer.

Due to space constraints, the students were not offered University housing.

Smoking banned in residence halls

In September, the University banned smoking in all residence halls. According to former Residence Hall Association Vice President Jon Ostrower, the decision was made largely because ventilation systems often exposed non-smokers to secondhand smoke.

In January, D.C. Mayor Anthony Williams signed a bill banning smoking in district bars, restaurants and other public places. Many establishments have until January 2007 to enforce the ban.

February

Jon Stewart packs Smith Center

During Colonials Weekend, students and their parents packed into the Charles E. Smith Center to see comedian Jon Stewart talk about sex, drugs and politics.

Stewart, who hosts The Daily Show on Comedy Central, performed for two sold-out crowds on a variety of topics including his thoughts on the presidency and life as a college student.

Student hospitalized in fight

Resulting from a dispute over football, one student attacked another outside a local bar, the Exchange, and was later charged with assault with a dangerous weapon.

Junior transfer student from SUNY Albany Chad Dauman subsequently pled guilty in February to this felony charge in a D.C. Superior Court.

The victim, senior Akeem Samuels, was forced to undergo intensive care and reconstructive surgery on his throat.

In May, Dauman was sentenced to six months in prison and was ordered to pay $31,000 in compensation.

Aramark employees petition

Unionized employees petitioned their employer Aramark, GW’s food service provider at the time, to negotiate a new contract in October. The employees hoped Aramark would agree to offer them better life insurance policies and more workers’ benefits.

In May, the University announced that GW’s contract with Aramark would be terminating in June 2006. GW signed a new contract with Sodexho, a competing food service provider, and the company is making renovations to the J Street cafeteria in the Marvin Center.

November

Sexual harassment scandal plagues SA

In early November, a female student filed sexual harassment charges with the University against Student Association President Audai Shakour. Shakour denied all charges and was later acquitted.

According to an anonymous University employee, the complainant accused Shakour of “forcible fondling” and “touching.”

Shakour told The Hatchet the alleged female victim was an SA colleague who disagreed with one of his administrative decisions.

Within two weeks of the allegations, four of Shakour’s top advisers resigned citing numerous reasons for their departure and hinting that the sexual harassment charges were a motivation. Other SA members questioned Shakour’s ability to lead, and some called for his resignation.

In late December 2005, Shakour was exonerated of all charges by Student Judicial Services. His accuser, however, later claimed Shakour was excused on a technicality and that justice was not served.
January
University introduces new ID numbers

Due to growing concerns about identity theft, University officials elected to phase out use of students’ Social Security numbers for many administrative purposes.

In late January, students were issued randomly generated GWid numbers. These numbers allow students to complete tasks like course registration, which used to require a student to use his or her Social Security number.

Numerous other universities have also made this change over the past year.

Student suspended following depression sues GW

The Hatchet reported that a former student filed suit against eight University officials, the University and GW Hospital claiming that GW unfairly suspended him from classes and barred him from campus after he sought treatment for depression and suicidal thoughts.

The accuser, Jordan Nott, claims the University unfairly discriminated against him because he had a mental illness and that GW Hospital shared confidential medical information with the University, which led to his dismissal from the school.

According to court documents, Nott was suspended from classes and removed from housing under the University’s endangering behavior policy, a principle meant to keep students safe who pose a risk to themselves or others.

In March, The Hatchet reported that GW officially denied any wrongdoing in the case.

Because of its controversial nature, the lawsuit drew attention from local and national media.

February

Chief Justice presides over moot court

In early February, Chief Justice John Roberts acted as a judge in the annual Law School Moot Court competition. Over 1,500 people attended the event, which took place in Lisner Auditorium. Afterwards, Roberts spoke to students and faculty at a reception in the Marvin Center.

Roberts agreed to judge the competition in August before he was appointed Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.

Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito will preside over this year’s Moot Court competition in February 2007.

March

President Bush speaks at GW

As many students were vacationing on Spring Break, President George W. Bush came to GW and spoke to a crowd of more than 400 in the Marvin Center.

During the speech, which was closed to the public, Bush pledged to focus more attention on improving the Iraqi police force.

Notable guests included Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld and the U.S. ambassadors to Israel and Jordan.

The event marked Bush’s second visit to campus. During his last visit in 2002 to give a speech about minority homeownership, he was greeted by student protesters and supporters.

April

Terrorist allegations stir up Law School

The Hatchet reported in early April that a law student was considering filing suit against two major Jewish organizations for accusing him of being a terrorist.

The lawsuit was in response to an e-mail sent over the Hillel listserv claiming that Fadi Kiblawi, a third-year law student who supports divestment from Isreal, is a terrorist and associates with suicide bombers. The e-mail encouraged students to protest a lecture he was giving.

At the event, members and supporters of the Jewish Defense League distributed flyers that said Kiblawi has publicly said “kill the Jews” and has also voiced a desire to “strap a bomb to one’s chest and kill.”

After the lecture, Kiblawi told The Hatchet that he was grossly misrepresented in the flyers and plans to sue the JDL and Hillel if they do not retract their statements.

Thorpe elected SA President

After a campaign with students running under three separate slates, senior Lamar Thorpe was elected GW’s next student body president.

Thorpe, who beat opponent and head of the Real GW slate Morgan Corr by 186 votes, did not belong to any slate and said that was a key to his victory.

The occasion marks the second consecutive time an independent candidate has defeated a slated candidate and won the SA presidential election.

Trachtenberg announces his retirement

University President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg announced April 6 his plans to retire as University President in July 2007.

Trachtenberg, who has been the University President for 19 years, explained that instead of renewing his contract he would be stepping down to achieve “personal goals.”

Trachtenberg added that he plans to become a University professor of public service following his retirement.

During his tenure, the University’s endowment has increased by over $600 million.

May

Major League Baseball picks alumnus

In early May, Major League Baseball chose a group headed by alumnus Theodore Lerner, now a D.C. real estate developer, as the new owner of the Washington Nationals baseball team.

In September, four alumni vied for the spot, but according to the MLB commissioner, the Lerner group was chosen because of its family-oriented organization. The group includes Lerner’s son and two sons-in-law.

Lerner, who made much of his money in real estate, agreed to pay $450 million for the team.

Former President Bush speaks at Commencement

Former President George H.W. Bush and his wife Barbara were the keynote speakers at the University Commencement ceremony in late May. The ceremony was held on the National Mall near the Capitol building for the first time in GW history.

Other notable speakers included Viacom CEO Sumner Redstone, Washington Nationals Manager Frank Robinson, Motion Picture Association Chairman and CEO Dan Glickman and former University President Lloyd Elliott.