Crime Log

Each week The Hatchet sits down with University Police Department officials and compiles the crime log – a list of instances that resulted in a response from UPD and other authorities that week. Here, The Hatchet has compiled a list of some of the stranger entries that appeared in The Hatchet’s crime log last year.

Assault on Police
9/9 – Ivory Tower – 12:21 a.m.
A female student was arrested after reportedly biting a UPD officer who approached her while she was intoxicated in the lobby of Ivory Tower. Stafford said the student was “extremely intoxicated” and tried to flee the scene twice during her encounter with UPD, falling to the ground on her second attempt. After the student spent a night in GW Hospital’s emergency room to be treated for excessive alcohol consumption, she was transported to the Metropolitan Police Department’s second district headquarters, where she was processed for assault.
-subject arrested

Weapons Violation
9/2 – Pelham Hall (MVC) – 7:00 p.m. – case closed
UPD received a report from CLLC staff that an individual had nun chucks and was using them outside of the residence hall. UPD arrived and observed the student practicing martial arts. Officers stopped him, explained the University’s policy on such materials and confiscated them.
-Referred to SJS

Disorderly Conduct
3/10 – Thurston Hall – 2:35 a.m. – case closed
UPD officers responded to a report of an intoxicated female student. Officers said that they witnessed the individual falling into a trash can. EMeRG, GW’s student-run emergency response team, was contacted and transported the student to GW Hospital.
-Referred to SJS

Disorderly Conduct
10/1 – Hall on Virginia Avenue – 1:50 a.m. – case closed
A student entered the lobby of the dormitory and began to yell at the officer stationed at the front desk when questioned for his GWorld card. The officer said that the student insisted he did not need to show University identification because he had “diplomatic immunity.” UPD was notified and determined that the student was intoxicated but did not need medical treatment and was escorted back to his “embassy” in Thurston Hall.
-Referred to SJS

Disorderly Conduct
1/29 – Ivory Towers – 9 p.m. – case closed
University Police Department had a “clearly very drunk” cashier at the Gallery Gourmet Market in the basement of Ivory Tower escorted off campus after he was making inappropriate remarks to customers. A witness said the suspect directed obscenities toward people in the store, told everyone in the store to leave and said “we can do this the easy way or the f***** way,” using a derogatory term for gays. The man became frustrated when the line grew long and he had trouble giving back change to customers and swiping GWorld cards.

Sex Abuse
4/29 – 2100 block of L Street – case closed
UPD was notified about a case of forcible fondling. The victim, a GW female student, reported a male subject on two separate occasions groping her as he rode by on a bicycle. He rode up behind her on both occasions and grabbed her buttocks. Officers canvassed the scene and did not find the subject.
-Off-campus incident

Destruction
3/4 – Smith Center – 12:58 a.m. – case closed
UPD received an anonymous call about a group of individuals who were seen running around the outside of the building with the large inflatable basketball used by the University to promote men’s and women’s basketball home games. Officers canvassed the Smith Center looking for the individuals. At 3:30 a.m., the basketball was found on a ramp outside the arena in a large plastic bag. Staff checked on the balloon and determined that it had been damaged.
No subjects or witnesses
-Referred to an outside agency

-Compiled by Robert Parker and Katie Rooney