CI Guide: Separating truth from myth

As freshmen arrive at GW, many will hear some outrageous pieces of information about GW. And let’s face it – freshmen are the easiest targets for falling victim to misinformation.
This truth-finding, myth-cracking guide will guard freshmen against being too gullible.
GW is the most expensive school in the country
Myth: Well, not quite. GW parents may not believe it, but GW is ranked No. 2 on the list of top 10 most-expensive schools. Only Landmark College, a school for students with learning disabilities and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, is more expensive. Landmark slides by GW to take the No. 1 spot with a tuition tab of $37,738, while GW is at $36,400 according to the Chronicle of Higher Education for the 2005-2006 school year. The University of Richmond, Sarah Lawrence College and Kenyon College round out the top five.
4-Ride will only take you to GW buildings
Myth: The University Police Department service, which operates from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. all week, will take students from any location within its specified boundaries of between 16th and 26th streets on M Street, and between 17th and 23rd streets on Constitution Avenue. The wait can be long, but so can a walk home in high heels.

Thurston is the second most sexually active dorm in the country
Myth: Although the rumor is widespread and popular, there is nothing to back it up. People say a study that exists that confirmed “Thrustin'” Hall to be number two in a list of the most sexually active dorms in the country. In March, The Hatchet debunked the rumor by checking with Cornell University and Playboy magazine (the two supposed sources of the study).
GW has secret societies
True: But it’s not really a secret. Known as The Order of the Hippo, this administration-sponsored “secret” society came under fire for allegedly hazing some members in spring 2005. Suspected members of the group were seen in University Yard with blindfolds on their heads and mud on their faces. The organization, comprised of student leaders and administrators, has its own Constitution and yearly meetings. The organization also sponsors philanthropic events throughout the year.
Political Science is the most popular major among incoming students
Myth: It may seem like every student is obsessed with politics, but numbers show that political science isn’t as popular as it appears. According to the Office of Admissions, only 12 percent of incoming freshmen reported a major in political science. International Affairs took the lead with 20 percent of the freshman class. 19.5 percent of freshmen declared an undecided major, while 15 percent declared a major in engineering.