WEB EXTRA: Student groups win end-of-year awards

Student organizations and leaders take home honors

The Student Activities Center handed out more than two dozen awards over the last week to the most successful student organizations and leaders on campus.

During the Greek Night of Achievement on Sunday night and the SAC Excellence Awards last Thursday night, awards given out included top student organizations, gold level achievement awards for Greek-letter organizations and Greek-letter man and Greek-letter woman of the year.

SAC’s 21st annual night of excellence was capped by three student organizations winning the Pyramid Awards, SAC’s top recognition. Winners were GW Class Council, Global Languages and the Mount Vernon Program Council. About 30 of GW’s more than 400 student organizations were nominated for the award, and a committee of nine students and SAC officials chose a winner. SAC gave out 11 awards overall on Thursday night.

“This is an opportunity for people across campus to recognize and honor student organizations and student leaders for their hard work over the course of the year,” said Student Involvement Coordinator Debra Berger SAC.

During Greek Night of Achievement on Sunday night, senior Jordan Schwartz of the Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity and senior Allison Dorfman of the Alpha Epsilon Phi sorority won the Greek-letter man and Greek-letter woman of the year awards, respectively. Four Greek-letter organizations were awarded gold-level excellence, the highest recognition SAC gives out. Winners were Sigma Nu, Sigma Kappa, Alpha Delta Pi and Pi Kappa Phi. A committee of 10 student and SAC staff members chose winners for the 17 categories of awards distributed during the Greek Night of Achievement event.