GW Briefs

Alito to judge 2007 moot court competition

The GW Law School announced last week that Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito will be one of three jurists in the February 2007 moot court competition. This year, Chief Justice John G. Roberts presided over the competition.

“The fact that we can attract people of this caliber is just another example of the visibility and rising reputation of the GW Law School and the University as a whole,” Law School Dean Fred Lawrence said.

The Jacob Burns Van Vleck Moot Court final in February is the culmination of a multi-month competition in which Law School students compete on teams and argue law cases in front of law professors and professional judges.

-Brandon Butler

GW to offer ‘It’s Academic’ scholarships

Winners of the game show “It’s Academic” may soon be walking away with some big prize money – in the form of GW scholarships. Last week the University announced the establishment of a scholarship program valued at $40,000 for game show participants accepted to GW.

Any of the students competing who have been accepted to GW for the 2007-2008 academic year will be eligible for the tuition scholarships.

GW will provide a $10,000 scholarship to the winning school of the Washington final and another $10,000 to the Superbowl-winning school.

“These are bright students who we hope will bring their enthusiasm and dedication to learning to our University,” said GW President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg in a press statement.

GW began co-sponsoring the show in February of this year; the show began in 1961.

-Lizzie Wozobski