All but three VPs pass

All but three of SA President-elect Lamar Thrope’s nominated vice presidential candidates passed through the first round of senate interviews Sunday afternoon.

The three candidates that were failed by the rules committe: Peter Fu, Hayley Haldeman and Nick D’Addario. Rules committee chair Chris Rotella said he felt some of the nominees were “not qualified.”

“Although I respect the rule committee’s decision to fail three of my nominees, I do not agree with their decision,” said Thorpe in a press release Sunday night. “My perspective is significantly different from that of a student senator.”

Fu, Thorpe’s nominee for Vice President of Judicial and Legislative Affairs, failed six votes to one.

“We felt there were many more qualified candidates,” said Rotella regarding Fu.

Hayley Haldeman, who was nominated for Vice President of Academic Affairs by Thorpe, failed unanimously. She is a freshman and cousin of Thorpe’s cheif of staff Kirk Haldeman.

“It is definitely an experience issue, especially with Hayley,” said Rotella. “She wasn’t qualified.”

D’Addario, Thorpe’s nominee for Vice President of Undergraduate Student Policy, was the most closely contested decision for the rules committee. D’Addario failed three votes to two. There were two abstentions, one of which was Rotella’s. D’Addario was a candidate for SA President this year and finished in fourth place. Rotella would not comment on D’Addario’s rejection by the rules committee.

Rotella has contacted the executive to notify Thorpe that the rules committee would be open to considering any new VP’s Thorpe may nominate, so long as Thorpe nominates these new VP’s by Tuesday.

Thorpe’s five other nominees were confirmed by the rules committee. Sophomore Derek Platt was confirmed as the Vice President of Community Affairs, junior Stephanie Adelman was confirmed as the Vice President of Financial Affairs, freshman Andrew Cooper was confirmed as the Vice President of Public Affairs, freshman Richard Fowler was confirmed as Vice President of Student Activities, junior
Charlie Leizear was confirmed as the Co-Chair of the Joint Committee of Faculty and Students.

All passed unanimously except for Fowler, who passed with four votes and three abstentions.

The SA Senate-Elect will meet on Wednesday to consider those approved by the rules committee.

-by Andrew Ramonas