Student arrested in taxi assault

A male student was arrested for simple assault against a taxi cab driver around 2:15 a.m. Saturday morning, after University Police responded to an altercation between a cab driver and three GW students.

When officers arrived to the scene, at the 500 block of 19th Street near Mitchell Hall, they saw a male subject and a taxi driver struggling inside a cab. The driver had several injuries to his head and face. He indicated to officers that he had been assaulted by two male subjects, University Police Chief Dolores Stafford told The Hatchet.

EMeRG was contacted to treat the injured driver. The driver was having a hard time breathing but refused to go to the GW Hospital emergency room.

The driver told officers that two males and a female were in the taxi with him. He reported that one of the male individuals hit him and took his taxi license after becoming angry about the fare. The driver also indicated that the other male and female individuals in the cab bit and hit him.

All three individuals involved in this incident were identified. The subject whom officers witnessed hitting the driver was arrested for simple assault.

The other two individuals were released but could be arrested on a warrant, pending a decision from the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Stafford said.