SA Notes

Real GW almost sweeps Senate committee chairs

Nearly a month after the Real GW slate came close to sweeping the Student Association Senate election, the organization fell one chair short of sweeping the committee chair appointments at the first meeting of 2006-2007 senate Monday night in the Marvin Center.

Sophomore Chris Rotella (CCAS-U) of Real GW was reappointed chair of the Rules Committee, beating out graduate student Brandon Sherr (CCAS-G) for the position.

The Academic Affairs Committee chair was taken by freshman Robert Platt (ESIA-U), who was uncontested for the position. Sophomore Marc Abanto (U-At Large), who was also uncontested, will be heading the Student Life Committee.

The only non-Real GW winner was incumbent graduate student Andrew Salzman (GSEHD), who edged out freshman George Blair (ESIA-U) of Real GW for the chair of the Finance Committee.

SA Senate chairs are selected by a nominating process in which a senator can nominate any other senator and then the whole senate votes on the nominee.

Real GW holds 11 of the 27 seats in the SA Senate; no other organized slate or team has more than three members in the body.

SA President-elect Lamar Thorpe, a junior, also gave his first president’s report and said he hopes to have nominees for his vice presidential positions by the weekend. The Rules Committee must approve each of Thorpe’s nominees before the full body considers them.

Thorpe and all of the senators-elect will be officially sworn into their positions May 5 in Kogan Plaza.