Team likely to make NCAAs

The GW golf team took a significant step toward making the NCAA Tournament for the first time in more than 40 years with a second-place finish this past weekend in the Rutherford Intercollegiate at State College, Pa.

Coach Scott Allen said he thinks the win should guarantee the Colonials entrance into the NCAA Tournament.

“Its huge for us,” Allen said in a phone interview Sunday. “It should just about lock it up for us.”

The Colonials finished nine strokes behind winner Eastern Michigan University (892), with senior Brian Carroll leading the way tied for seventh place (77-69-77). Andrew Gallo carded a 70 in the second round en route to finishing in a tie for 11th, knotted with teammate Dan Mirabella (78-73-73). Freshman Lewis Sturdy, who garnered Atlantic 10 rookie of the week honors last week, continued his strong play in a tie for 61st place with a pair of 81s and a final-round 75.

Korey Mahoney of Eastern Michigan took medalist honors, with a one-under par 215 (68-73-74).

The golfers braved rainy conditions, which Allen conceded hampered his team’s performance.

GW’s next competition is the Atlantic 10 Tournament in Orlando, Fla., on May 5-7. A win would lock up an automatic bid into the NCAA Tournament.

Allen said in the time between now and the tournament, his team will have competitive practices to determine the travel squad.

“You can always work on short game,” Allen said. “There will be individuals who will need to work on their games too.”

The NCAA Regionals will be held May 18-20 in Orlando, Cleveland and Tuscon, Ariz. The NCAA finals will be May 31- June 3, in Sunriver, Ore.