SA Notes

Senate meeting postponed one week

The first meeting of next year’s Student Association Senate did not occur Tuesday night as originally planned, due to a longer-than-expected certification process of election winners.

In order for election results to be certified, they must be transferred to and approved by the Joint Elections Committee, Student Activities Center, the University Registrar and the SA president.

The JEC submitted the election results to SAC for certification April 7, one day after the conclusion of the runoff election.

SAC then submitted the names of the election winners to the Office of the Registrar for GW enrollment verification last week. The names of the winners were then given to SA President Audai Shakour for his signature on Wednesday, too late for the Senate-elect meeting to occur on Tuesday. Following Shakour’s signature, the candidates will be officially certified and able to take office.

“We are working on pulling things together,” said JEC Chair Liz Fox, a junior. “Everything should be done by the end of this week.”

The SA Senate-elect meeting has been rescheduled for next week and will take place Tuesday or Wednesday night in the Marvin Center; new senators will meet to form committees and elect chairs for those committees.

This year’s Senate will have one final meeting Tuesday. On May 5, the new SA president, executive vice president and senators will be sworn in on Kogan Plaza.