Peeping tom disturbs Mitchell

A female student reported to University Police that she was a victim in a “peeping tom” incident in the Mitchell Hall female community showers last week, and officers are warning students to be on the lookout for the suspect.

The student told UPD that while she was taking a shower last Wednesday at around 8:15 a.m., she saw a male attempting to look behind her shower curtain. After she got out of the shower, she said she saw him again trying to look under a restroom stall, UPD Chief Dolores Stafford said in an interview Tuesday.

A UPD officer swept the building but was unable to find the subject, Stafford said.

The identity of the suspect is unknown, but UPD recently posted a public safety advisory in Mitchell to notify students of the unidentified male in the dorm. According to the advisory, the suspect is a Hispanic male, approximately 21 to 28 years old, with black hair and dark eyes. He was wearing a dark shirt and khaki pants at the time of the incident.

In Mitchell Hall, which contains solely singles, residents use community bathrooms they share with other students on their floor. Community bathroom doors automatically lock when closed, but the doors are normally left cracked open so students do not have to use a key to enter the restroom.

James Kohl, GW director of residential life for the Community Living and Learning Center, wrote in an e-mail Wednesday that Mitchell’s bathroom doors should be shut at all times to ensure the safety of the residents.

He wrote, “CLLC staff has spoken with residents about making sure the bathroom doors are closed and locked.”