GW Briefs

SMPA mulls director candidates

School of Media and Public Affairs faculty members will meet Tuesday night to discuss recommendations from University officials who have met the final four candidates for the school’s next permanent director.

While Columbian College Dean William Frawley said last month that he hopes to have the process complete by the end of April, Steven Roberts, SMPA professor, said he expects a new director to be chosen by the end of the spring semester.

National media personalities Bill Press, Frank Sesno, Charles Lane and Lee Heubner have all visited campus since they were announced as finalists for the director position three weeks ago at a meeting of SMPA majors.

“All four candidates were warmly received by the faculty, and the final decision will be a difficult one,” Roberts said.

Donald Lehman, executive vice president for Academic Affairs, and University President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg has met the finalists along with some SMPA faculty and graduate students, Roberts said.

Roberts added that University officials, not the search committee comprised of SMPA faculty, will ultimately decide which of the four candidates will become the school’s next permanent director.

-Jessica Calefati

Gym to get Juice Zone

GW plans to open a condensed version of Juice Zone on the second floor of the Health and Wellness Center by the end of the spring semester.

Juice Zone Express, which will occupy the space left vacant by Einstein Bros. Bagels, will feature fruit smoothies, frozen yogurt, fruit juice and wheatgrass shots, among other items, said Nancy Haaga, director of Auxiliary and Institutional Services, in an e-mail last week. Paninis, wraps and salads, which are available at the I Street location, will not be offered.

Construction is currently underway, with a grand opening planned for around the end of the month. The juice bar plans to remain open during the summer and will accept Colonial Cash.

“Juice Zone does not plan to do any major construction to the existing space, but rather create the Juice Zone brand and atmosphere within the Health and Wellness Center space,” Haaga said. “The idea is to fit in with the surroundings, yet bring the fun, excitement and healthy, delicious offerings of Juice Zone to HellWell.” She added that the goal was to “create an environment in which students want to come and hang out … even when they are not working out.”

Juice Zone and the Health and Wellness Center have had previous partnerships, including a short feature entitled “The Juice Zone” in the center’s bimonthly newsletter, “Focus on Fitness.”

-Marc Alberg