Hoops Notes

Temple gets Dunphy

Fran Dunphy, a Philadelphia native and coach of the University of Pennsylvania, was hired by Temple to replace John Chaney. Dunphy becomes the only coach to have led two Big Five schools, the collective name for the college basketball teams in the Philadelphia area. “Now I get a chance to almost be reborn again,” Dunphy said of the move to the Atlantic 10 school.

Miami Herald: Hollis set to sign next week

Damien Hollis of J.P. Taravella High School in Coral Springs, Fla., is set to sign with GW next week, according to a report in Wednesday’s Miami Herald. Hollis, a 6-foot-8 guard, is playing in the Capital Classic Thursday at the Smith Center. Coach Karl Hobbs refused to comment on recruits until they sign their letter of intent. The signing period began Wednesday.

McKeown begins search

GW women’s team head coach Joe McKeown has started interviewing candidates to replace assistant coach Lisa Cermignano. Cermignano announced last week that she was leaving GW to become an assistant coach at Vanderbilt. The GW position drew upward of 20 applicants, McKeown said, but he has narrowed it down to a few. McKeown said he is “close to making a decision.”

The coach, in his 19th year at GW, would not release the names of any applicants due to uncertainties that still remain about some of them.

“We’re just moving forward with it,” McKeown said. He hopes to have a replacement for Cermignano by the end of the month.

-Joanna Shapes and Jake Sherman