Baseball falls to William and Mary in 13-1 rout

The GW baseball team failed to build on its three-game winning streak Tuesday after sweeping Xavier this past weekend. William and Mary disposed of GW’s win streak and momentum, beating them soundly, 13-1. The game was Tuesday at Barcroft Park in Arlington, Va.

William and Mary jumped on GW (11-21) starter sophomore Brian Frazier, scoring four runs in the first inning – an inning he didn’t even finish – as his record fell to 0-4. By the sixth inning of this rout, William and Mary had an 11-0 lead.

The William and Mary (11-22) bats made lots of noise the entire game. Third baseman Greg Sexton went 2-for-4 with a homerun, his fourth of the season, off Frazier. Four Tribe hitters had two or more hits as they collected 13 total for the game.

The Colonials’ bats, which had been lively over the weekend, were silenced by Tribe starter Pete Vernon (2-1), who held GW to two hits and no runs while striking out six in six innings of work, earning the victory. After Vernon, four Tribe pitchers combined to hold the Colonials to one hit the rest of the way.

The Colonials’ lone run was scored by redshirt freshman Andrew Haberern as he led off the eighth inning with a walk and advanced to third on two wild pitches. After junior Jeremy Hall struck out, third baseman senior Tom Shanley knocked Haberern in with a groundout to third for his 18th RBI of the season.

Next for the Colonials is a three-game Atlantic 10 series in Olean, N.Y., against St. Bonaventure. Senior ace Derrik Lutz will start game one against the Bonnies.